Thursday, July 7, 2011

What am I?

The following was an extra-credit written assignment for my freshman science class in high school at good ol' West Salem High School. I don't remember why this was an extra-credit assignment, but seeing as I was an over-achiever, I completed it and got 8/7 (how is that possible?). I thought you might enjoy it...at the same time, why don't you guess what kind of animal the characters portray? Good luck!

"I am extremely tired! I've been waddling for so long to find water and food. My friend Holli is with me and we're both keeping journals of our long voyage to find krill. Something I guess I should mention is that Holli cries a lot...I think it is during the night that she cries (more on that later). She misses Roberto, her mate. I miss George a lot too, but I try to keep ahold of my emotions.

We've all been waddling and sliding for seventy-five miles I think. We still have twenty-five miles to go and then at the end of our eating time we have to go the one-hundred mile waddle back. However, that will be more fun. On the way back my friends and I will think of names for our children. I already know what I want to name my child. I really don't care if it is a boy or a darling girl. I want my chick to be named Billy. Anyways, we've been waddling and sliding and the winds are extremely strong and dry. Even though we live on snow and in water, this continent is like a desert! It's probably the driest place on earth.

Holli just started crying again - that means we can rest a little bit because she has a sense about when it's night even though it's always dark here right now. All my friends and I just can't wait to get back. I miss my chick as well as George! Right now, he and Roberto are huddled with every other male and chick trying to keep warm. They all sacrifice so much for us women!"

Did you figure it out? :)

1 comment: