Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The Pilgrim's Progress

Lord willing, there are a lot of things I would like to do this summer. One of these is to read a novel or two. That may seem like a silly goal, but I used to read all the time, and over the last year or so have only felt like I had time to read textbooks or the Bible. I like reading. It calms me and gives me a place to escape to so that I can be a happier, more productive person in real life. So...the first book I have chosen to read is The Pilgrim's Progress. As of now, I am only about 25 pages in, but I love it! Its quite dialogue-based and written in older english, so its kind of fun. My favorite word so far that I have come across is "verily." Apparently it is an adverb which means "in truth," "really," or "indeed." Yes I know, I'm somewhat of a nerd sometimes, but I found it interesting and just thought I'd share.

Here is an excerpt that I like:

(background) Christian, the main character, is talking to his neighbors who are trying to persuade him to turn back from his journey. Christian is explaining why he wants to leave his home and he says:

"because that all which you shall forsake is not worthy to be compared with a little of that that I am seeking to enjoy; and if you will go along with me, and hold it, you shall fare as I myself; for there where I go is enough to spare....I seek an Inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, and that fadeth not away, and it is laid up in Heaven, and fast there, to be bestowed, at the time appointed, on them that diligently seek it. Read it so, if you will, in my Book."

I like it because, as a Christ follower, I should be more bold in my faith like Christian is. He had no fear of telling those around him why he was different or had other goals than them. He knew people thought he was crazy, but he also knew that there was something better to look forward to and that it would be better than anything he could ever imagine. I find that I don't look for opportunities to share my faith, but I know that if I opened my eyes, I would see multiple opportunities every day. There are so many people around me that I know don't know or aren't willing to accept the truth. I need to care more. I need to live my life in a way that makes people ask me why I'm different. This is another of my summer challenges: to try and be more outspoken and more bold in my faith. I know The Pilgrim's Progress is fiction, but because it is an allegory (i.e. parable) it has many good reminders in it for those of us who call Jesus our Lord and Savior. If you want to give it a try, I would encourage you to read it when you have a chance (there's also a kids version if the old english is a little hard to manage).

I'd like to know if anyone has suggestions for other books to read though, once I'm done with this one. Let me know if you have any and why you think I should read it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment