Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Consider it all joy

I am currently doing a study on Philippians and am reading a book on it by David L. Hockling titled "How to Be Happy in Difficult Situation." The title doesn't draw me in, but listen to this passage and this portion of the introduction to his book:

Acts 16:6-10 [this gives the background for why Paul went to Philippi (the leading city of the district of Macedonia" according to Acts 16:12)]:

"And they passed through the Phrygian and Galatian region, having been forbidden by the Holy Spirit to speak the word in Asia; and when they had come to Mysia, they were trying to go into Bithynia, and the Spirit of Jesus did not permit them; and passing by Mysia, they came down to Troas. And a vision appeared to Paul in the night: A certain man of Macedonia was standing and appealing to them, and saying, "Come over to Macedonia and help us." And when he had seen the vision, immediately we sought to go into Macedonia, concluding that God had called us to preach the gospel to them." 


"What a fascination account of God's direction in a person's life! All of us need the kind of responsive heart that is revealed in these verses. Often, the Lord will simply close the door on our plans and the places we had decided to go. Too many times we become bitter, discouraged, and defeated over "closed doors" when it is simply the loving hand of a God who wants the very best for us and has a specific plan to work in our lives. It is difficult to say how the Spirit of God was impressing Paul's heart in these verses. Perhaps it was through circumstances. Maybe the roads into Bithynia were closed due to bad weather! Who knows? The obvious fact is that they were led by the Spirit of God."


I know I often feel discouraged when my plans don't go through. This excerpt is such an encouragement to me; to think that a "no" from God is actually leading me some place better than I ever could have planned! I hope that I can learn to depend on the Holy Spirit for every decision, and that I will "consider it all joy when I encounter various trials; knowing that the testing of my faith produces endurance" James 1: 2-3 (revised).

1 comment:

  1. I heard this on a Christian radio show the other day. "Either we are in the midst of a trial, we have just came out of a trial or we are headed into a trial". That just reminded me that we must remain faithful and never quite the race till we reach the finish line.

    ReplyDelete