Sunday, September 19, 2010

No More Wisdom...


On Thursday I got my wisdom teeth out. Yay! Hurrah, it was finally done!! My appointment was made for July, but then it was discovered that I had mono...so I had to wait. I was then told to make my new appointment for 4 to 6 weeks later. And so we did - which brings us to Thursday. My mom took me to my Oral Surgeon (who was wonderful!) and when we arrived, I couldn't help but think that they might turn me away to wait again. But they didn't! They whisked me right in and I couldn't help but be slightly nervous and excited. Nervous because I had never done this before but excited because I am a nerd that way. :)

Side note: I had originally wanted to write this post on Thursday to prove that I was capable of doing something the day of, but I got to sleeping and forgot about it. Ha!

K, back to the story: Going into the procedure I wasn't sure how I would do or how I would respond because I had never had surgery before of any kind. It was going to be my first experience with general anesthesia... Here is my reasoning for wanting to be totally out: 1) I didn't want to get cold - because I am always cold and I knew that I would be in their air conditioned rooms - and 2) I didn't want to get bored. I was told the actual surgery would take about 20 minutes but that I would have to lie there for a total of about an hour, and I didn't want to get bored without being able to move around. I'm sure you didn't need that explanation, but just in case you were wondering, or in case you ever get the option to choose local or general anesthesia, you will now have one person's very weird point of view on the matter.

Anyways, I was taken to a room with a dentist chair in it, laid down, hooked up to various monitors, given an i.v...and then I was out. No laughing gas, no being asked to count to 10...I just fell asleep with people working over my head to get things ready. It was very peaceful. The next thing I remember was slowly waking up and being told everything went just fine and that I had to lie there for a little bit longer. I had been expecting to laugh hysterically or start crying or feel weird (I was expecting this from all of the stories I had heard), but I was perfectly alert and everything made sense to me. I was, however, shaking very badly. This, apparently, was my only reaction to the drugs. It stopped after a little while and they gave me a blanket to get warm. Then for the next 20 minutes I lied there and was asked various questions of which I tried to answer through my swollen/gauzed-filled mouth. And then I was given an ice pack to go around my head and wheeled out to the car.

I arrived home, took some meds and went straight to bed for a while. Although I didn't get around to writing this post then, I did get some homework done! Success!!

So I may have lost all my wisdom through this experience, but I am still able to do homework and sleep which is what my life will consist of for the next two years (besides a few other key events hopefully) so I guess I'll turn out ok.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment