Monday, July 19, 2010

The past few days

I find that when I make time to write and I sit down ready to go, I decide to first read other people's blogs, which I love to do (I read about 16 regularly!)...but then I run out of time for my own writing. I just love hearing others' stories and sometimes I feel like what they have to share is more amusing or more important than anything I would say. But the life I have right now is the life I am called to lead -- I am learning to accept that.

So, my life has been a little interesting lately. This last weekend and week has had some surprises in it. I'm not sure what is going to happen next, but I am at a place where I will take whatever comes.

There have been several little things that have been stressing me out that really shouldn't, but among them is that fact that I need to turn in this packet of papers by August 2nd to ensure my place in the nursing program come fall. I am in the middle of working on them (I still have to take a CPR class and have documentation that I am certified...way last minute. oops!!), but it seems like so many other things are popping up, needing to be taken care of. On top of trying to keep up with things and work on projects which I have begun for the summer, over the weekend I got sick with some sort of virus. I was supposed to have my wisdom teeth out this morning, but when I went in, my oral surgeon said it wouldn't be a good idea until I am well. So ok...fine. Honestly, I was disappointed, but the wisdom of others has been increasingly important to me lately, so I decided to take his advice. I came home and took a nap and then ate a little bit (I was still feeling sort of crummy) and then went to the doctor. They decided to do a strep test (which came back negative) and they drew some blood to see if I have mono. I'll find out tomorrow or the day after if that is the case. But no matter what, the doctor's orders are to rest and drink lots of fluids, so it looks like its a good thing I got 3 days off of work...even though I won't be using them to recover from surgery, I guess I need them to recover from whatever I have. The good thing is that the GAP, where I work, is pretty flexible with requests, so I should be able to get time off again with no problem once I am doing better and can go ahead with getting my wisdom teeth out.

In addition, Paul's close friend's dad is in the hospital. At the moment he is stable, but they are still watching him closely and are not sure how things will turn out (prayer would be much appreciated).

On a different note, yesterday I went to my good friend Stephanie's bridal shower! We've known each other since high school and her wedding is in 19 days. She was all aglow and everyone had a wonderful time. It was very casual and took place in her future in-laws' backyard. The shower was in the evening so they had a salad bar for dinner and a chocolate fountain with wonderful things to dip into it. It was delicious! Everyone mingled for a while and then we played some low key games. My favorite was one where Stephanie was told that Andrew, her fiance, had been asked 25 questions about her. He of course, wasn't at the shower, but now she was going to be asked the same questions so she could answer for herself. The game was to guess how many we thought Andrew would get right out of the 25. So Steph was asked a question, she answered, and then Andrew's answer was shared. They were really fun to listen to! I guessed that he would get 19, but he only got 12 totally right! haha! But for a lot of the answers, Steph couldn't decide between two things, so the one she didn't say was the one he said. After that, she opened gobs of wonderful presents. This took about an hour or a little more, but I loved watching each item get unwrapped. Then the last thing they did was form a prayer circle around Steph and pray for her. I loved that! So fitting.

As for now, I am sitting on the couch, my kitty is sleeping at my feet, and I think I'm going to take a nap. I really don't like being limited, but if I get up, my stomach decides it needs to lurch to tell me its still there or something...silly. Oh well. Maybe I'll rent a redbox movie later or call a friend. We'll see.

The most important thing I am remembering is God is in control! What happens is in His will and nothing I do can change that. What happens down here on earth is no surprise to the God of the universe. That is my hope right now. I pray those of us who call Jesus our Savior never forget that!

No comments:

Post a Comment